Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Practicum Dilemma

I'm faced with a dilemma for my final practicum in my degree (Bachelor of Social Work - BSW). I've asked our field co-ordinator to try to get me a practicum with a place I found in Vancouver. It's *exactly* what I want to be doing with myself, and I'd be so happy if the practicum led into a job with the organization.

The catch? Transit costs. I don't drive, so even just taking the WCE (West Coast Express) train to and from Vancouver, I'm looking at $80/week ($320/month) for transit costs... probably close to $1,000 by the time I'm done. Which is ridiculous. I may have additional costs for bus once I'm in Vancouver, but that's something I'll have to check into.

The issue is that I've had pressure to move back home before Jan., so I'm closer to Vancouver and won't have to use the WCE train. That way I can just use Translink transit, and not have to commute from where I live now. The downside is I don't like that option, plus it's based on a short term scenario and doesn't accomodate for my partner living with me once he comes back to live with me in Nov.

So I'm not sure what to do if my field co-ordinator tells me they'll take me after all. I want to stay where I am and not have to move twice in 6 months or twice in a year, but at the same time those are really really high transit costs, and I'll have to come up with the money somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! I saw your facebook post, and, voila, here I am!
    Are you financing your education through student loans? If so, I've been told there's a special appeal for transportation costs. I haven't looked into it myself, but Lisa applied for it this semester :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, hi Alison! I didn't know you had a blog, so I "followed" you.

    I will be applying for bursaries I think, and to be able to apply for the full amount, I have to get a loan.

    The catch is that my parents have paid for my full education, so I haven't been funding it with student loans. Therefore I don't know if that special appeal would apply for me, but thank you all the same for mentioning it to me! :) I'll look into it when I make an appointment to work on my application.

    ReplyDelete